What do you think of when you hear the term ‘dreamer’? Is it only something you do at night when you’re sleeping? Or maybe during an office meeting when you should be paying attention? Perhaps you desperately needed an escape from stress and your mind wandered when it shouldn’t have? You could be dreaming up world changing ideas, hopes, or wishes. Maybe you’re just thinking about a funny meme that you saw on facebook while your spouse is telling you about their day. We’ve all been there, right? If you say ‘no’ than I’m fairly certain you’re being less than honest with yourself.
For me, it’s a story inside my head. Dreaming makes life adventurous. It makes the mundane tolerable and the tedious more exciting. There’s nothing more entertaining for me than to create a character inside my head while I’m cleaning or chasing my rambunctious children around the house. Or plotting a landscape that can’t be seen with the naked eye and creating colors that aren’t part of our reality. Better yet, imagining a dramatic fight scene that I can later put down on paper while I’m trying to help my struggling toddler clean up his spilled milk.
Let’s just say; without my imagination life would be intolerable. I can’t comprehend what my world would be like if I didn’t have this gift. The ability to create worlds and characters that have thoughts, feelings, actions, and relationships is such a huge stress relief for me. It really has been a blessing in my life. I’m sure that the people who know me personally don’t realize that while they’re talking to me I could be creating another conversation in my head between the characters I’m working on. Or while I’m sitting on their couch watching our kids play I’m rehearsing what I’m going to type on my computer when I get home. It can be awkward, I suppose. Especially when I blurt out something random that has nothing to do with our real life conversation.
Being a mother is so amazing and I love hearing my children create their own stories through their playtime. Each and every one of us used to be the same way. As children our job was to play. We used our imaginations without feeling embarrassed or self conscious about who could be watching or listening. I remember playing with my brother and cousins in the backyard and we would create battle scenes playing ‘Cowboys and Indians’. Sticks were swords, rocks were grenades, trees were meant for climbing, and the ‘stink bomb’ mushrooms were poisonous gas if you stepped on them. We were ninjas, hunters, soldiers, orphans, and every other thing we could think of. Sometimes as the only girl in the group I would be the princess. Of course, I wouldn’t allow myself to be too dainty because a princess had to be able to fight her way through the backyard that had suddenly turned into a spooky jungle.
But, like all good things, it has to come to an end. Right?
Growing up is inevitable and it’s also the goal. To see a child grow to adulthood and become successful is every parent’s hope. Unfortunately, in many ways, I think our imagination dies. We tend to forget about the fairy godmother that showed us the way through the forest so we could escape the wicked witch. Or the best friend with the curly purple hair that no one else could see but you. Instead we go through the stresses of high school and college. We deal with both healthy and unhealthy relationships. Some of us make a family for ourselves to take care of and others focus on goals that they hope will bring them a purpose. But regardless of what we do with our lives, one thing is certain; we work ourselves to the bone everyday. Our work is no longer to play pretend, but to survive in the world. We focus on careers, we raise kids, and maybe we’ll take a vacation every once in a while.
But did our imagination have to die along the way?
Did we have to stop building worlds and creating imaginary friends? Did we have to forget how freeing dreaming could be?
I couldn’t let a good thing like that die, so I chose to embellish it. That’s why I read and write. That’s why I listen closely when my kids are playing to hear the conversations they have with their invisible friends that are so real to them. When I go hiking or climb a mountain its so freeing to day dream along the way. I would be lying if I said that I never pretended that a bear was chasing me while I was jogging. Or that I’ve acted out a scene from one of my books to see if the dialogue sounded decent.
Some may think it is strange for an adult to play pretend like a child, and that’s okay. It’s important to have realists mixed in with the dreamers. But, just like it’s important for the dreamers to settle down and do something productive, it’s also important for realists to relax and let their imagination take flight.
So take the time to dream! Believe that you are what you never thought you could be!
Do something creative everyday. Remember that you are only as old as you think you are. Whether it be knitting, sewing, photography, writing, or building a castle in the clouds; don’t be afraid to be a dreamer. Even if it’s just for an hour or two.
Love this! I’m definitely a dreamer. I dream in a different way, so it was cool to see how you dream!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteThis was amazing thank you Mariah
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you liked it Taliah!
DeleteI love to dream. Unfortunately I have forgotten about this little gem of a reality break. I will have to take advantage if my very creative mind more often ♥️Thanks for the reminder
ReplyDeleteJudy, I have always admired your creativity! Love you!
DeleteCool way to put it Riah! As Diane said, I dream differently too. My dreams usually consist of something I want to accomplish. Not so much characters, feelings and such. I dream that I may one day accomplish the things I have set out to do and I dream about what that looks like. What people are around me. What situation I will be in. I guess I’m a very “realistic view” sort of dreamer. Cool to see how you dream!
ReplyDeleteThanks Tashah! We all dream differently and for different reasons.
DeleteThis was an amazing view on dreaming! I love dreaming about what my life will look like in the years to come. Great job Mariah!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kamie! I’m so glad you liked it!
Delete